Lyla’s Disney World Wish

On April 24, 2010, employees and family members of Ramsey, Thornton & Barrett, PLC and Dickson Title, LLC joined with other businesses in Dickson County to particpate in the Country Music Marathon and Half Marathon as TEAM DICKSON. The purpose of this run was to make a wish come true for a Dickson County girl through the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Middle Tennessee.

Thanks to the generous support from the community, Team Dickson raised $9,781.00, which made Lyla’s wish to go to Disney World a reality.

Read Lyla’s Story:

FROM LYLA’S MOM:

Our beautiful Lyla was diagnosed with leukemia shortly before her second birthday. It started with a high fever. I guess it’s true about a mother’s intuition. Since this was her second high fever in a short amount of time, I asked the doctors to check her blood. Lyla’s ANC white-blood cell level was dangerously low. We went straight to Vanderbilt’s ER and after a bone-marrow aspiration, we were told our little angel has cancer. The next day she had a port implanted into her chest cavity and begin chemo treatments.

It has been quite the journey, but she is the bravest, stongest girl I know. After being on steroids for a month, all of her leg muscle was broken down and she had to learn to walk again. She has had continued chemo, including several spinal taps, hair loss and terrible sores in her mouth and throat. Even then, no complaints.

She has had to give up so many things that a three year old should enjoy because her immunity is always so supressed-going out to eat, birthday parties and anywhere there are a lot of people. She hardly goes anywhere, but is an avid watcher of the Disney Channel. Princesses are our life! At the beginning of every Disney movie, she says, “Look Mommy, there is Cinderella’s castle.”

Lyla will continue treatments until December. Our little girl will be okay when all of this is said and done and I truly believe that she has a very important role to play in this world.

This entry was posted in Community Events. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Comment